Friday, January 11, 2008

Side Note: Christmas in Cambodia

I have been asked by a number of friends what Christmas in Cambodia is like and, since it was different than I expected, I figured I should enlighten others as to my observations. Shortly after Thanksgiving, as in the US, lights and decorations began to appear. The US Embassy and the Ambassador’s house were in top form early on. I also noticed a shift in the music selection of many Phnom Penh area establishments. Instead of the typical love songs of the late 80s and early 90s, Christmas music was the choice for the supermarket and many shops and restaurants.

Most amusing of all, however, was the availability of Santa suits. Little mom and pop shops, which normally stock a bit of food, toiletries, and cigarettes began to sell Santa suits and hats in all sizes, but particularly in small ones. When Christmas rolled around, practically every other Cambodian kid was wearing a fuzzy red and white Santa suit and hat. In strollers, on motos, riding bicycles, eating dinner, etc.

No comments: