Monday, January 7, 2008

The Fam Part I: Arrival in Cambodia

In my two week absence I’ve been busy! I’ve broken up my trip with my family into several entries and what I have called “side notes,” amusing stories worthy of more description than can fit in a normal entry. Therefore, over the next week or so, you can expect at least a half dozen entries. Enjoy!

------------------------

Late in the evening of December 19th, Shanti and I hopped into a Toyota Camry and made our way to Pochentong International Airport. Shortly after 11:30, a tired, but excited trio of my parents and sister arrived, sans luggage unfortunately. We squeezed into the Camry and my family got their first taste of Asia as well as the developing world: pungent smells, poverty, motos, and more.

Over the next two days we did as much of Phnom Penh as possible. My family was introduced to our “host” family and the other members of the household as well as our Khmer teacher, my boss and his wife, and a few of our friends. We went to our favorite restaurants – including Java Café, Khmer Surin, and the Chinese Noodle Shop. We went to the markets to admire (and purchase) the silks, the fabric, and the crafts. We went to the Royal Palace, fed the monkeys at Wat Phnom, and sat along the riverfront, where I played with a cute, naked, three year-old boy; he grabbed my hand and just held it and then ran off to a slightly older friend, pointing back to me as he yelled “barang” (foreigner).

Despite having spent thirty-six hours traveling, my parents and sister adjusted very well to the twelve hour time difference as well as to the new environment. Their eyes were wide with wonder for most of their journey, taking in the chaotic traffic, the adorable children, the vibrant markets, and the friendly smiles. My sister even quickly picked up some basic Khmer phrases within the first day or two.

1 comment:

cloda062 said...

Hey man, your folks visited? That's cool! Gutted about their luggage though. Japan's brilliant, albeit ridiculously cold at the moment!