Tuesday, January 13, 2009

From American Winter to Cambodian Winter

Last year, I blogged about the warm 'winter' temperatures and Cambodians' fondness for neon-colored winter coats and knit hats. Now, in mid-January, winter is in full swing and even I am feeling the effects.

After spending two weeks in temperatures often freezing or below in the U.S., I was looking forward to returning to the tropical climes of Phnom Penh. What I returned to, however, was Cambodian winter. Though I have yet to adorn a winter jacket or a beanie, it feels chilly to me even though I know the temperature is hitting 80 (27 Celsius) during the day and doesn't ever drop below 65 (19 Celsius) at night. Perhaps it is a bit colder this year than last year. Perhaps I am more acclimatized to the tropical heat than I realize. But I certainly haven't had the fan on the past few nights, I dread leaving the hot water of the shower in the morning, and I've consciously worn long-sleeve shirts to work (whereas normally I'd opt for a polo or button-down t-shirt).

While I giggled at and perhaps even mocked the Cambodians that were shivering in their down jackets last year, this year I sympathize. If I'm feeling the effects, than certainly they are. So buy up those sweaters and jackets at Russian market, turn off the fan at the foodstall in the market, and enjoy that extra cup of tea. If I were staying through next winter, I'd probably join you.

No comments: