Monday, August 11, 2008

Hellloooo

Nearly two weeks without an entry. Unacceptable. Not that I'm here to make excuses, but there are two reasons for lack of entries: 1) lack of inspiration (no need to worry, I have several good ideas for the next few posts) and 2) the visit of my good friends Dave and Allison.

My residence in Cambodia as well as my persuasive rhetoric convinced Dave, one of my best friends from college, to make the journey to Southeast Asia before starting graduate school this fall (that's right folks, in six short years he will be a Dr. Dawg). For the first week he traveled with his sister through Chiang Mai and Luang Prabang, before meeting up with his girlfriend Allison, to travel through Vietnam and Cambodia.

The duo arrived in Phnom Penh on Tuesday night. On my way to the airport to meet them, in my chariot (otherwise known as Red's tuk-tuk), where I had a most unpleasant, but entertaining experience. It had been raining the whole day - it is in fact the rainy season now - and the road out to the airport was flooded in spots. About halfway to Pochentong, a moto sped by, just as we were crossing an enormous puddle, spraying me with mud, literally from head to toe. Though disgusting, I couldn't help but laugh. It was exactly like in the movies. Anyways, when I got to the airport, I told Dave and Allison that I was so excited to see them that I shat my pants, not too far from the truth.

In the short time they were in Phnom Penh, we had a wonderful time together. Dinner at Khmer Surin, half-priced pastries at Lucky, fruit-tasting and a wander through Orussey Market, feeding the monkeys at Wat Phnom, strolling through Central Market, lunch at Chinese noodles (more on that in a forthcoming entry), dinner at Lim Try Restaurant (more on that in a forthcoming entry too - see I told you I have a lot of ideas...), lunch at Friends The Restaurant, a trip to the National Museum (my first!), Russian Market, dancing at the olympic stadium, and dinner at a random restaurant on our street. Not bad for 2.5 days, especially considering I wasn't with them the whole time.

They left for Siem Reap on Friday morning and I intended to meet them and Shanti, fresh back from the US, there on Saturday afternoon. We had a really nice, very relaxing time in Siem Reap. Relaxing by the pool, reading, delicious Amok dinner, and more relaxing by the pool. It's hard to believe that our string of visitors is going to dry out for about two months. If you want to visit in September or October, just let me know...

No comments: