Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Jews of Cambodia

Cambodia is a country that is 95% Buddhist. Although many Americans do not know this, they know that there can't be many Jews in Cambodia. I am told that there is one Cambodian Jew, a rural villager who knew nothing about Judaism until he was introduced to the entire religion by a dream. I was not able to find any information on this said individual, however.

Cambodians aside, though, there is a sizable ex-pat community in Cambodia and in Phnom Penh especially. Among these few thousand people, there have to be at least a few Jews, right? In fact, there are several dozen of us. I was first introduced to the Jewish community in Phnom Penh at a Rosh Hashanah dinner in September. Though fairly small, the gathering brought together some twenty Jewish ex-pats of various ages and nationalities. Some time between Rosh Hashanah and Hanukkah a Jewish listserv of sorts emerged. I found myself on an e-mail list of Cambodia's Jews. The list had some fifty names on it. Fifty Jews in Cambodia!

I met a greater number of my people, perhaps forty of them, at a Hanukkah party in early December. Menorahs were lit, latkes were eaten, and dreidels were spun. Fortunately, no Mainschewitz was to be found anywhere. There were Americans, Belgians, Poles, Frenchmen (and women), and even a Kiwi!

I know what you're thinking. Big deal. A handful of Jews get together for the main holidays. Not so I tell you! In fact, a large party was organized for Purim, a holiday in which you're supposed to cross-dress and drink so much that you can't tell the difference between good and evil. Sadly, I was unable to attend this amusing, drunken affair.

More recently, however, it was Passover. Unfortunately for the Jewish ex-pats of Cambodia, Passover fell during Khmer New Year, a time when Cambodia is brutally hot and everyone able to escapes to a beach or a cooler climate. Fear not! Following Khmer New Year, and on the last day of Passover, a massive Seder was held, with over forty people in attendance. Though it was the most rushed, chaotic Seder I've ever been to (and I've been to my fair share of chaotic Seders), it was great to be able to connect with a community of Jews in Southeast Asia.

I apologize for the rambling and seemingly directionless nature of this entry, but it was one that I needed to write. Especially for my grandparents, who I can picture chuckling to themselves and shaking their heads as they read this when I e-mail it to them. I'm sure to get some reply, eventually, asking if rat was served at the Seder. Oy...

4 comments:

Sam said...

Hi there! First, thank you for sharing your blog! I found towards the top when i googled Phnom Penh Jews. Would love to know how I can get on this listserv that you mention. Can you post it here?

yourphnompenhpal said...

Dear Sam,

Thank you for your comment. If you leave another with your e-mail address, I won't publish the comment and I'll add your e-mail to the listserv (it is just an e-mail list, so nothing I could post to this blog).

Best,
yourphnompenhpal

yourphnompenhpal said...

Just a friendly reminder to those of you who are interested in getting in touch with the "Jews of Cambodia": please leave your e-mail in your comment (I won't post the comment or share it with anyone else). Otherwise, I have no way of getting back to you.

Best,
yourphnompenhpal

Anonymous said...

hi, new to the site, thanks.