Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Breakfast with His Excellency

On Saturday morning and with Shanti working for the day, I set off to the local butcher, Dan's Meats, to get some minced beef (for burgers), salami, and bacon. On my way downstairs, however, I was greeted quite warmly by the owner of our house, a man we call ay otdam - meaning "his excellency" in Khmer - and a member of the National Assembly. Our communication has always been cordial, though limited, both by his hectic schedule and his minimal English (we have, however, occasionally conversed in French).

A word on the Excellency's appearance: he is fairly short with thin, black hair, glasses, and an eager smile. He is probably in his mid-60s. He is well-dressed, wearing slacks, a short-sleeve button-down shirt, and leather sandals. He looks a bit like Mao with more hair, glasses, and a slightly darker complexion.

On this particular Saturday morning, His Excellency invited me to breakfast. He also invited my 'wife,' Shanti, an assumption I did not dispute as it is not exactly kosher for unmarried couples to live together in Cambodia (which, I might add, is somewhat ironic in the face of the flourishing sex trade). Anyways, at first I said that I had already eaten and that I was going to do some errands. Then, thinking better of my refusal, I decided that there was no reason not to join the Excellency for a meal. Sure, it is a bit awkward for someone working on anti-corruption issues to schmooze with a National Assemblyman who sits on the Anti-Corruption Committee and who drives a brand-new Lexus SUV. But I came to Cambodia looking for adventure and a one-on-one breakfast with the Excellency was sure to be an adventure.

I hopped into the Lexus, driven by the Excellency himself and not his driver, admiring the soft leather seats, the in-dash DVD player, and the rear bumper camera to assist when going reverse. Munching on fresh baguettes, hash browns, bacon, and sausage, we chatted about the basics of our lives. We asked about each others' travels (he's been to a number of places in Asia and to Europe several times), families (three sons and two daughters), and so on. He gave me a very brief history of his life (from teacher, to Ministry of Tourism official, to provincial governor, to national assemblyman).

Out of nowhere, really, the Excellency extended his arms toward me with a big smile on his face and looked at me. "You," he said, "you are my son. And your wife, she is my daughter-in-law." Needless to say, I was touched - almost as much as I was amused.

Driving back to the house in the Lexus, he played a Khmer karaoke DVD, asking me if I liked Khmer music. I agreed that I did and I believe he invited me and Shanti to join him in going to a karaoke bar, an offer I will not be able to refuse if extended. Moreover, the Excellency invited me, his 'son,' and my 'wife' to come to stay with him in Kampot (the quaint town Shanti and I visited in mid-August), an offer we will have to take him up on in the near future. Anyways, I will certainly keep you posted on any and all worthwhile Excellency-related contacts.

No comments: