Thursday, September 6, 2007

Lunch in the Park

On Wednesday, I had a delightful lunch by myself on a bench in a park across the street from my office. After fifteen minutes or so, an obvious alcoholic came and sat next to me, offering me some of his booze. I thanked him, but declined, explaining (in Khmer) that I had to go back to work soon. We proceded to sit in silence for several minutes. And then he became my Khmer teacher (or at least tried to become my Khmer teacher). He picked up a coconut which someone had drank from, pointed to it and said the word for coconut in Khmer - I forget what it is because he wasn't a very good teacher. Then, he put both of his hands by his side and lifted them up, urging me to repeat the word several times. This happened several times for a few different words. After that, he took his half drunk bottle of booze and hid it in a bush in the park and walked off never to be seen again.

No comments: