Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Tidbits

Let me first apologize for not having written for several days. For some reason Google thought that my blog was a "spam" blog and shut it down without any explanation and without letting anyone access it, and without letting me edit it until futher review. After review, however, the blog is back up and running and you get a new post.

Now that that's out of the way, I think I'll start with some tidbits of things you see in Phnom Penh.

On motorbikes (for clarification a motorbike is somewhere in between a scooter and a motorcycle):
--as many as five people
--two people and a refrigerator
--three matresses
--three people, one on an IV (in the middle, with the person on the back holding up the IV)

On the streets:
--cops sitting around (I saw one yesterday testing out his handcuffs on his friends)
--people peeing (apparently public urination isn't a crime or because cops just sit around, it's not enforced)
--trash
--motorbike drivers constantly asking if you want a ride
--delicious looking street food (like fried banana)

In grocery stores:
--very cheap fruit and veggies (it's even cheaper at the market)
--American products at ridiculous prices (my favorites are $11 for a pint of Haagen Dazs and $8 for a box of Frosted Flakes)
--ex-pats galore (I think many are weary of the markets)
--cheap wine (hooray for the French influence)

More updates on what I've been up to very soon (I promise) and I should have some exciting job news to post within the next few days. Keep checking and I'll keep writing.

No comments: